Skip Over Navigation Links

The NIH Almanac

Photo Gallery

NIH Image Bank

Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D., NIH DirectorThe NIH Image Bank contains images from the collections of the 27 institutes and centers that comprise the National Institutes of Health. Contents include general biomedical and science-related images, clinicians, computers, patient care-related images, microscopy images, and various exterior images.

Presidential Images

President Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicated the new NIH campus President Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicated the new NIH campus in Bethesda on October 31, 1940. This event was held to celebrate NIH's historic move from one building in Washington, D.C. to its new campus setting in Maryland on 45 acres of land donated by Luke and Helen Wilson.
lo-res | hi-res

On June 22, 1951, President Harry S Truman applied the first trowel of mortar to the NIH Clinical Center cornerstone. On June 22, 1951, President Harry S Truman applied the first trowel of mortar to the NIH Clinical Center cornerstone. To symbolize advances in clinical medicine at the time, the cornerstone included samples of therapeutic aids, drugs, and techniques and devices to represent diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease.
lo-res | hi-res

President Lyndon B. Johnson stepping off helicopter onto the lawn of the NIH Clinical Center, August 9, 1965.President Lyndon B. Johnson stepping off helicopter onto the lawn of the NIH Clinical Center, August 9, 1965. He is being greeted by PHS Surgeon General William H. Stewart, NIH Director Dr. James Shannon, and Dr. Jack Masur, Clinical Center Director.
lo-res | hi-res

President Johnson with PHS Surgeon General William H. Stewart and NIH Director Dr. James Shannon arrived at the NIH on August 9, 1965, to sign into law an extension of the Research Facilities Construction Program.President Johnson with PHS Surgeon General William H. Stewart and NIH Director Dr. James Shannon arrived at the NIH on August 9, 1965, to sign into law an extension of the Research Facilities Construction Program. In his remarks, President Johnson noted that "Here on this quiet battleground our Nation today leads a worldwide war on disease."
lo-res | hi-res

Dr. Theodore Cooper, President Gerald Ford, and Dr. Donald S. Fredrickson
  listening to HEW Secretary Casper Weinberger speak at the July 1, 1975, swearing
  in ceremonies of Dr. Cooper as the HEW Assistant Secretary for Health, and
  Dr. Fredrickson as Director of the NIH. Dr. Theodore Cooper, President Gerald Ford, and Dr. Donald S. Fredrickson listening to HEW Secretary Casper Weinberger speak at the July 1, 1975, swearing in ceremonies of Dr. Cooper as the HEW Assistant Secretary for Health, and Dr. Fredrickson as Director of the NIH.
lo-res | hi-res

President Gerald Ford speaking at the July 1, 1975, ceremony swearing in
    Dr. Donald S. Fredrickson as NIH Director.President Gerald Ford speaking at the July 1, 1975, ceremony swearing in Dr. Donald S. Fredrickson as NIH Director. In his speech, President Ford says of the NIH "Through your accomplishments, NIH has become a symbol of hope, not just for the patients who are here in this or the other buildings, but all people, everywhere."
lo-res | hi-res

President Gerald Ford observes Dr. Donald S. Fredrickson taking his oath of office as Director of the National Institutes of Health on July 1, 1975. President Gerald Ford observes Dr. Donald S. Fredrickson taking his oath of office as Director of the National Institutes of Health on July 1, 1975. HEW Secretary Casper Weinberger administers the oath as Mrs. Fredrickson holds the family Bible.
lo-res | hi-res

President Gerald Ford shakes hands with NIH staff, patients, and guests at the Clinical Center.President Gerald Ford shakes hands with NIH staff, patients, and guests at the Clinical Center. He was on hand to observe the swearing in of Dr. Donald S. Fredrickson as the Director of the NIH, July 1, 1975.
lo-res | hi-res

First Lady Rosalyn Carter, and Mrs. James Callaghan, wife of the British Prime Minister, are shown speaking with a patient in the Clinical Center's Laminar Flow Room facilities. First Lady Rosalyn Carter, and Mrs. James Callaghan, wife of the British Prime Minister, are shown speaking with a patient in the Clinical Center's Laminar Flow Room facilities. Mrs. Carter and Mrs. Callaghan visited the Clinical Center on March 11, 1977.
lo-res | hi-res

Picture of First Lady Rosalyn Carter, Mrs. James Callaghan and NIH
    Director Dr. Donald S. Fredrickson On March 11, 1977, First Lady Rosalyn Carter, and Mrs. James Callaghan, wife of the British Prime Minister, visited the NIH campus and met with NIH Director Dr. Donald S. Fredrickson for a tour of the Clinical Center.
lo-res | hi-res

On July 23, 1987 President Ronald Reagan visited the NIH Clinical Center to announce his 13-member Commission on the Human Immunodeficiency Virus Epidemic. On July 23, 1987 President Ronald Reagan visited the NIH Clinical Center to announce his 13-member Commission on the Human Immunodeficiency Virus Epidemic. HHS Secretary Otis R. Bowen and President Ronald Reagan listen as NIH Director James B. Wyngaarden briefed the president on the NIH's efforts in fighting AIDS.
lo-res | hi-res

HHS Secretary Otis R. Bowen and NIH Director James B. Wyngaarden greet President Ronald Reagan during his July 23, 1987 visit to the NIH Clinical Center.HHS Secretary Otis R. Bowen and NIH Director James B. Wyngaarden greet President Ronald Reagan during his July 23, 1987 visit to the NIH Clinical Center. President Reagan visited the NIH to announce his 13-member Commission on the Human Immunodeficiency Virus Epidemic.
lo-res | hi-res

President Ronald Reagan, HHS Secretary Otis R. Bowen, Dr. James B. Wyngaarden and members of the Commission on the Human Immunodeficiency Virus Epidemic.President Ronald Reagan, HHS Secretary Otis R. Bowen, Dr. James B. Wyngaarden and members of the Commission on the Human Immunodeficiency Virus Epidemic. In his remarks, the president said, "I hope the commission will help us all put aside our suspicions and work together with common sense against this threat."
lo-res | hi-res

President Bill Clinton speaking with HHS Secretary Donna Shalala and NIH Director Dr. Harold Varmus after the cornerstone dedication ceremony for the Dale and Betty Bumpers Vaccine Research Center on June 9, 1999. President Bill Clinton speaking with HHS Secretary Donna Shalala and NIH Director Dr. Harold Varmus after the cornerstone dedication ceremony for the Dale and Betty Bumpers Vaccine Research Center on June 9, 1999.
lo-res | hi-res

Mrs. Betty Bumpers, President Bill Clinton, and Sen. Dale Bumpers during the cornerstone dedication ceremony for the Dale and Betty Bumpers Vaccine Research Center on June 9, 1999. Mrs. Betty Bumpers, President Bill Clinton, and Sen. Dale Bumpers during the cornerstone dedication ceremony for the Dale and Betty Bumpers Vaccine Research Center on June 9, 1999. In his speech, President Clinton praised the Bumpers by saying "It is entirely fitting that today we dedicate this state-of-the-art facility to them. They are two great Americans."
lo-res | hi-res

On June 9, 1999, HHS Secretary Donna Shalala, President Bill Clinton, Arkansas Sen. Dale Bumpers, and Mrs. Betty Bumpers unveil the cornerstone to the Dale and Betty Bumpers Vaccine Research Center. On June 9, 1999, HHS Secretary Donna Shalala, President Bill Clinton, Arkansas Sen. Dale Bumpers, and Mrs. Betty Bumpers unveil the cornerstone to the Dale and Betty Bumpers Vaccine Research Center. President Clinton called the NIH "one of America's great citadels of hope, not only for our people, but also for the world."
lo-res | hi-res

President George W. Bush tours the Vaccine Research Center accompanied by (from left) NIAID Director Anthony Fauci, NIH Director Elias A. Zerhouni, HHS Secretary Tommy Thompson, and Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, Tom Ridge. President George W. Bush tours the Vaccine Research Center on February 2, 2003. He is accompanied by (from left) NIAID Director Anthony Fauci, NIH Director Elias A. Zerhouni, HHS Secretary Tommy Thompson, and Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, Tom Ridge.
lo-res

President George W. Bush delivers an address on Project BioShield to a full audience at Natcher Auditorium during his visit to NIH on February 3, 2003. President George W. Bush delivers an address on Project BioShield to a full audience at Natcher Auditorium during his visit to NIH on February 3, 2003.
lo-res

President George W. Bush speaking with G. Reid Lyon and Cynthia Henderson. President George W. Bush visits NIH on May 12, 2004 and participates in a panel discussion about reading education and development. Touting his No Child Left Behind legislation and its Reading First initiative, President Bush talks with other panel members, including G. Reid Lyon (l) of NICHD and Alabama kindergarten teacher Cynthia Henderson (r).
lo-res

President George W. Bush visits NIH on January 26, 2005 to hold a 40-minute town hall meeting in Masur auditorium called strengthening health care. President George W. Bush visited NIH on November 1, 2005 to announce the government's pandemic influenza preparations and response. At a Natcher Bldg. address of just under half an hour, he outlined a $7.1 billion plan to meet the threat of avian flu. Bush credited NIH for more than a century of work "at the forefront of this country's efforts to prevent, detect and treat disease, and I appreciate the good work you're doing here. This is an important facility, an important complex, and the people who work here are really important to the security of this nation."
lo-res | hi-res

President George W. Bush visits NIH on January 26, 2005 to hold a 40-minute town hall meeting in Masur auditorium called strengthening health care. President George W. Bush visits NIH on January 26, 2005 to hold a 40-minute town hall meeting in Masur auditorium called strengthening health care. Greeting him in the lobby of the Clinical Research Center is: NIH director Dr. Elias Zerhouni joined by NCI director Dr. Andrew von Eschenbach (l) and Maryland Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich, Jr.
lo-res

President George W. Bush looks into a microscope. On January 17, 2007, President George W. Bush makes his fifth visit to the NIH campus during his presidency. In his tour of a cancer research laboratory and a roundtable discussion, the president learned about the Cancer Genome Atlas project and other NIH-funded research efforts.
lo-res

Photo of Dr. Elias Zrehouni and French President Nicolas Sarkozy. On Thursday, April 10, 2008, French President Nicolas Sarkozy awarded NIH Director Dr. Elias A. Zerhouni the Légion d'honneur (French National Order of the Legion of Honor), the highest decoration in France. In the United States, Generals of the Army Dwight D. Eisenhower and Douglas MacArthur, are among the Americans who have received the honor. Others include General Wesley Clark, Actor Kirk Douglas, Film Producer and Actor Clint Eastwood, and former Secretary of State Colin Powell.
Photo Credit: Service Photo Elysée A.R. lo-res | hi-res

A photo of President Obama, Secretary Sebelius, Dr. Collins, Deputy Secretary Corr, and Dr. Holdren talking in a group. President Barack Obama (right) gets an update on NIH activities from NIH director Dr. Francis Collins (third from left). Also on hand are (from left) Bill Corr, deputy HHS secretary; HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Dr. John Holdren, the President's science advisor.
lo-res | hi-res

A photo of President Obama, Secretary Sebelius and Dr. Collins walking together. From left, HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, NIH director Dr. Francis Collins and President Barack Obama tour the Mark O. Hatfield Clinical Research Center at NIH.
lo-res | hi-res

 

Campus Photos

Building 1, the Shannon Building, serves as NIH headquarters in the
            heart of the campus in Bethesda, Maryland.Building 1, the "Shannon Building," serves as NIH headquarters in the heart of the campus in Bethesda, Maryland.
lo-res | hi-res

Building 10, the Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center, has served as the nation's clinical research hospital since 1953.Building 10, the "Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center," has served as the nation's clinical research hospital since 1953.
lo-res | hi-res

The Mark O. Hatfield Clinical Research Center was dedicated on September 22, 2004.The Mark O. Hatfield Clinical Research Center opened in 2005. The facility houses inpatient units, day hospitals, and research labs and connects to the original Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center. Together, the Magnuson and Hatfield buildings form the NIH Clinical Center. The Clinical Center provides patient care and the environment clinical researchers need to advance clinical science. It was named in honor of Senator Mark O. Hatfield of Oregon, who supported medical research throughout his congressional career.
lo-res | hi-res

The Children's Inn at NIH provides pediatric patients and their families a place to stay during treatment at the Clinical Center.The Children's Inn at NIH provides pediatric patients and their families a place to stay during treatment at the Clinical Center.
hi-res

The Edmond J. Safra Family Lodge at NIH is the temporary residence for families and loved ones of adult patients receiving care at the Clinical Center.The Edmond J. Safra Family Lodge at NIH is the temporary residence for families and loved ones of adult patients receiving care at the Clinical Center.
lo-res | hi-res

Building 16, the Lawton Chiles International House, is a locus for international activities supported by NIH and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).Building 16, the "Lawton Chiles International House," is a locus for international activities supported by NIH and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
lo-res | hi-res

The C.W. Bill Young Center (Building 33) is a new laboratory complex constructed for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)The C.W. Bill Young Center (Building 33) is a new laboratory complex constructed for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) to expand its research programs for developing new and improved diagnostics, vaccines, and treatments for emerging diseases caused by infectious agents that may occur naturally or be deliberately released into civilian populations.
lo-res | hi-res

Building 38 houses the National Library of Medicine, the world's largest collection of medical literature, and the Lister Hill National Center for Biomedical Communications, the research component of the NLM. Buildings 38 (and 38A—shown in the background) house the National Library of Medicine, the world’s largest collection of medical literature, and the Lister Hill National Center for Biomedical Communications, the research component of the NLM.
lo-res | hi-res

Building 40, the Dale and Betty Bumpers Vaccine Research Center, was established to facilitate research in vaccine development. Building 40, the "Dale and Betty Bumpers Vaccine Research Center," was established to facilitate research in vaccine development.
lo-res | hi-res

Building 45, the William H. Natcher Building, is the gateway to the NIH campus. It houses a 1,000-seat auditorium, nine conference rooms, a spacious cafeteria, and underground parking for visitors.Building 45, the "William H. Natcher Building," is the gateway to the NIH campus. It houses a 1,000-seat auditorium, nine conference rooms, a spacious cafeteria, and underground parking for visitors.
lo-res | hi-res

Building 50, The Louis Stokes Laboratories, provides 250,000 GSF of state-of-the-art laboratory, office and conference facilities for scientists from nine NIH Institutes. Building 50, "The Louis Stokes Laboratories," provides 250,000 GSF of state-of-the-art laboratory, office and conference facilities for scientists from nine NIH Institutes.
lo-res | hi-res

view of the NIH campus This view of the NIH campus looks north past the Natcher Building (right) to the Stokes Labs (center) and beyond to the Clinical Center (upper left). Building 31, the "Claude D. Pepper Building," (upper right) provides office space for most Institute directors and their immediate staff.
lo-res | hi-res

view of the NIH campus looks south beyond the Stokes Labs and Natcher BuildingThis view of the NIH campus looks south beyond the Stokes Labs and Natcher Building (center) to the reflective façade of the National Library of Medicine (upper right).
lo-res | hi-res

Historical Photos of Scientists

The NIH began in 1887 as a one-room Hygienic Laboratory in this Marine Hospital on Staten Island, New York. The NIH began in 1887 as a one-room Hygienic Laboratory in this Marine Hospital on Staten Island, New York. The Hygienic Laboratory was located here until 1891, when it was moved to Washington, D.C.
lo-res

This is a photograph of a PHS research laboratory, circa 1899. This is a photograph of a PHS research laboratory, circa 1899. The staff is shown at workstations with microscopes and laboratory glassware.
lo-res

n 1910, U.S. Public Health Service workers prepared poisons to be used for the extermination of plague-carrying rats.In 1910, U.S. Public Health Service workers prepared poisons to be used for the extermination of plague-carrying rats.
lo-res

In 1910, researchers worked at a U.S. Public Health Service laboratory equipped with a bunsen burner, microscope, and petri dishes. In 1910, researchers worked at a U.S. Public Health Service laboratory equipped with a bunsen burner, microscope, and petri dishes.
lo-res

In 1916, Dr. Ida A. Bengston became the first woman on the professional staff at the U.S. Public Health Service Hygienic Laboratory. Dr. Bengston worked on ways of developing vaccines for spotted fever. In 1916, Dr. Ida A. Bengston became the first woman on the professional staff at the U.S. Public Health Service Hygienic Laboratory. Dr. Bengston worked on ways of developing vaccines for spotted fever.
lo-res

In 1929, field laboratory technicians for the Rocky Mountain Laboratory collected research specimens from the north side of Blodgett canyon, Montana. In 1929, field laboratory technicians for the Rocky Mountain Laboratory collected research specimens from the north side of Blodgett canyon, Montana.
lo-res

A 1937 NIH laboratory technician surrounded by tools of the trade; a rack of cotton-stoppered test tubes, a microscope and various glass jars. A 1937 NIH laboratory technician surrounded by tools of the trade; a rack of cotton-stoppered test tubes, a microscope and various glass jars.
lo-res

In 1939, laboratory technicians performed tick research at a field laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. The laboratory was equipped with a refrigerator, an autoclave, and a wood-burning stove. In 1939, laboratory technicians performed tick research at a field laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. The laboratory was equipped with a refrigerator, an autoclave, and a wood-burning stove.
lo-res

In 1946, researchers work at a field laboratory set up in the basement of the Kew Gardens apartments in New York City. In 1946, researchers work at a field laboratory set up in the basement of the Kew Gardens apartments in New York City.
lo-res

In 1953, NIH scientists were seeking the cause of the hypersensitivity that develops during a 10-21 day lapse after infection before the onset of rheumatic fever or nephritis. In 1953, NIH scientists were seeking the cause of the hypersensitivity that develops during a 10-21 day lapse after infection before the onset of rheumatic fever or nephritis.
lo-res

n 1954, NIH researchers were studying weight and blood changes in rats with folic acid deficiency. In 1954, NIH researchers were studying weight and blood changes in rats with folic acid deficiency.
lo-res

In 1975, NIH's central computer facility housed computers to aid in the collection, analysis and display of data from laboratory instruments, such as this mass spectrometer. In 1975, NIH’s central computer facility housed computers to aid in the collection, analysis and display of data from laboratory instruments, such as this mass spectrometer.
lo-res

a photo of Dr. Martin RodbellDr. Martin Rodbell, former scientific director of NIEHS, won the 1994 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. Photo courtesy of Andrew M. Rodbell.
lo-res | hi-res

a photo of Former NIEHS Director Kenneth Olden with Dr. J. Carl Barrett, Dr. Roger W. Wiseman, and Dr. Andrew FutrealFormer NIEHS Director Kenneth Olden (l) with senior members of the NIEHS component of the team that identified the first breast cancer susceptibility gene, BRCA1. Also pictured (left to right) are Dr. J. Carl Barrett, Dr. Roger W. Wiseman, and Dr. Andrew Futreal. Photo by Steven R. McCaw.
lo-res | hi-res

This page last reviewed on April 17, 2013

Social Media Links